Apple is planning to phase out the use of physical SIM cards in the next five years. That’s why you need to be aware of how to activate an eSIM on your iPhone.
eSIMs are a substitute for the physical SIM card. They're embedded directly into the device's circuitry, so you won't have to swap them like physical SIM cards. An eSIM allows you to activate a cellular plan by directly contacting your carrier services.
Apple allows you to store eight or more eSIMs on an iPhone, out of which you can use two eSIMs simultaneously. Wondering how to set up an eSIM on your iPhone? Let’s talk about it.
Setting Up an eSIM on an iPhone
Activating an eSIM on your iPhone is easy because of clear on-screen instructions. You can directly activate an eSIM while activating your iPhone if your cellular network allows eSIM Quick Transfer or Carrier Activation.
An eSIM Quick Transfer happens when you transfer from your previous iPhone to a newer model without changing your carrier. However, an eSIM Carrier Activation happens when you contact your carrier to assign an eSIM to your iPhone at the time of purchase.
Using either of the methods requires you to activate your eSIM by following the on-screen instructions. You can also use a QR code to activate your eSIM if the on-screen instructions don’t pop up. The eSIM can also be activated later on.
Let’s look at some of these methods in more detail.
How to Use eSIM Quick Transfer
Some carriers require you to contact them when activating an eSIM. If you’re upgrading your iPhone, you’ll only need eSIM Quick Transfer. You can also convert your physical SIM to an eSIM.
When setting up your iPhone, you'll probably be asked to transfer your SIM and follow some instructions. If you plan on adding more SIMs, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Open “Settings” and go to the “Cellular” tab. Click on "Add Cellular Plan."
- Choose the cellular plan you want to transfer to your new device.
- Follow the instructions and confirm the transfer with your previous iPhone.
- When the cellular plan on the new iPhone activates, the previous SIM will deactivate.
- Contact your carrier if the eSIM fails to activate.
Convert Physical SIM to an eSIM
If you’re going from a physical SIM to a new eSIM, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and tap "Convert to eSIM” in the cellular tab.
- If you don't see this option, your carrier does not support eSIM. You’ll have to change your carrier service if you want to use an eSIM.
- Tap on “Convert Cellular Plan” at the bottom.
- Wait for your eSIM to activate. You can remove your physical SIM because the SIM card automatically deactivates after eSIM activation.
- Restart your phone.
Scan QR Code
Some carriers do not support the above options, so you'll have to use a QR code issued by your carrier. Follow the steps below to activate eSIM through a QR code.
- Set up your eSIM by tapping on the “Use QR Code” option in the “Cellular” tab.
- Follow the instructions that pop up.
- Open the camera to scan the QR code.
- When the camera detects the cellular plan, tap on the notification.
- Add the cellular plan.
Thanks for visiting our blog, are you planing to travel to Europe? Check out our range UK SIM card before you take off.
Before you take off make sure to check with local government of the travel status.